Purchasing indoor plants online offers a much wider choice of plants than what is available at your local garden center.It can also mean that you can browse for the ideal plants for your landscape from the comfort of your own home, on your own schedule, and without the occasional excessively eager but not always knowledgeable help of your local retail outlet’s sales staff. Shopping online allows you ample opportunity to conduct your own internet research to determine the suitability of specific plants for your location. Furthermore, having plants delivered right to your home can save you not only time but also money by eliminating the need to drive from one shopping mall to another.
Before purchasing anything online, a buyer should always be sure they understand the guarantee policy of the company they are buying from. This is especially true when purchasing live plants. Although a reputable company will make every effort to ensure the plants they are shipping to you are healthy and of high quality, occasionally a plant may arrive in a less than perfect condition. It may then be necessary to ask for a refund or a replacement in this situation. Being aware of a company’s return policy regarding defective or damaged plants prior to ordering can prevent future misunderstandings or inconveniences.
It is not unusual to find quality to buy plants online at a lower cost than the local garden centers can offer. Most online plant retailers offer seasonal specials, as well. Shipping can be costly for larger plants but many online stores will offer free shipping if a minimum amount is purchased. It is advisable, when shopping online, to not only compare shops for the best possible product, but also, for the best deals on shipping.
Before providing any personal information, especially in relation to your bank account, it is imperative to make sure that the company you are ordering your plants from is a secure site.
Choosing Your Plants
- When buying plants from an online garden store, keep in mind that the store is likely to cater to a large, potentially international audience and that not all of the plants offered will be suited for your region. Before buying any plants, make sure you understand what sort of environment each one demands, since this information may be crucial to effectively grow.
- Knowing the pH level of the soil at the desired planting location and the pH requirements of the plant you wish to place there is a good idea. It’s also crucial to be aware of how much sunshine the location receives as well as the plant’s light needs. Some plants thrive in partially shaded or shadowed regions, and too much sun can be just as harmful as too enough.
- Then, of course, you have to consider which kinds of plants you wish to plant. Do you want to plant perennials? Perennials are plants that, once planted, will remain year after year and should not have to be replanted once established. Or, do you wish to plant annuals? Annuals are a one-season plant (although some “annuals” are treated as perennials in some tropical locations). Chances are you will be planting a combination of both perennials and annuals.
- How about the colors? Don’t forget that not only can the blooms of the plants come in a rainbow of colors, not all foliage is your basic green color. There are many shades of foliage color and, as with the bloom colors, the foliage colors should also be taken into consideration when deciding your color theme and plant placement.
- Also, if you’re going for color, don’t forget to buy plants that bloom at different times of the season. Enjoying a continual rotation of blooming color in your landscape can be worth the time, effort, and expense.
Anyone shopping for those perfect plants for the yard and garden is no longer limited to what’s available locally. Having internet access is like having a window to a world of plants you, previously, may never have known existed, and shopping for your indoor plants online can be an enjoyable, educational, and rewarding experience.